- Longest Pole Saws Guide - October 20, 2022
- Common Stihl 462 Problems & Troubleshooting - October 18, 2022
- How to Measure Chainsaw Bar - September 30, 2022
Pole saws are one of the most efficient tools for felling and trimming trees. They are sometimes also used to cut shrubs or brush that are very thick. They save energy and time while eliminating many risks, such as tree branches falling on you, scratches, chainsaw kickback, and debris getting into your eyes.
A pole saw can be useful, but a long pole saw can be even more useful. A long pole saw is often the best option. This is because some trees are too tall and out of reach for a standard pole saw.
You may be wondering, “How do I know which long pole saw to buy?” or “Where do I even begin?”
With my experience writing and researching pole saws, in this longest pole saws guide I will be sharing with you the longest pole saws options you can choose from.
Bottom Line Up Front
Choosing the best pole saws for your gardening needs shouldn’t be rocket science. There are three basic pole saws: manually operated, electrically operated (corded or cordless), and gas-powered. They all perform a similar function, just powered differently.
My best choice for a manually operated pole saw is the Scale belly Telescoping Pole Saw and for an electric pole saw is the WORX WG309 Corded Electric Pole Saw and the Milwaukee’s M18 FUEL Pole Saw.
Some of the things I look out for when choosing the longest pole saws include the following:
- Versatility – I prefer very long poles, but they can also be shortened to reach lower regions, like parts of the farm with shrubs or brush. This is why I always go for Telescoping pole saws. These pole saws have pole designs that permit adjustment, so you can switch between a range of different lengths as you work. All my best picks are telescopic.
- Weight – I also consider the weight of the chainsaw on the pole because that affects how much time I can work without needing rest. I am usually drawn toward lightweight and compact pole saws, which is reflected in my best picks.
- Safety – You should only buy pole saws that show an apparent manufacturing effort towards safety. I know I do. So, I made sure I chose pole saws with good safety features.
PICKS AT A GLANCE
This is a selection of pole saws that rank higher among those I’ve used and researched based on the above features I have highlighted above.
- Scale belly 4.6-25 Foot Telescoping Pole Saw – This is one of the longest pole saws with a working height of about 25 feet. It is also a very flexible tool, which can shorten to lengths that accommodate ground use.
- BLACK+DECKER 20V Max Cordless Pole Saw LPP120 – This pole saw is battery-powered, emission-free, and can extend up to 14 feet. It is light, has a long battery life, and is easy to use.
- WORX WG309 Corded Electric Pole Saw – This is a two-in-one package tool with an extra regular chainsaw alongside the pole saw. It is corded electric and favored by both professionals and non-professionals alike.
- Sun Joe SWJ800E Electric Pole Chain Saw – This is a corded electric pole saw that uses little power to produce a lot of force. It is famous for cutting thick branches during tree trimming or pruning and is resistant to wear and tear.
- Milwaukee’s M18 FUEL Pole Saw – This pole saw has a combination of features such as a lithium battery, rapid charger, and a shaft (pole) length of up to 16 feet, making it an exceptionally sought-after tool. It is also known for its high cutting power.
- WORX WG349 20V Power Pole Saw – This cordless electric pole saw is compact, has very little tension, and demands little power to function. It has a telescopic pole that extends up to 13 feet above the ground.
- HOSKO 10FT Pole Saw – The pole of this tool reaches up to 10 feet above the ground, and it is made of steel which gives it strength while being lightweight. It is also emission-free.
- Earthwise PS44008 Corded Electric Pole Saw – This is known for its cut accuracy, which is why it is used for delicate jobs like cutting branches of trees that have become entangled with overhead wires. It is also eco-friendly.
- MAXTRA Gas Powered Pole Saw – This is a gas-powered pole saw. It has a powerful engine that helps it cut thick branches. It also has a 10″ cutting blade that gives it a cutting edge over other pole saws.
- PROYAMA Multi-Function Pole Saw – This pole saw is known for its high cutting power as it is also a gas-powered pole saw. Its pole reaches up to 13 feet above the ground and is multifunctional – It comes with different other tools. It also has multiple cutting angles.
- WEN 4019 Electric Telescoping Pole Saw – This cordless electric pole saw is famously known as one of the safest as it comes with protective gear from its manufacturers. It boasts a 12 feet pole and has a 6-Amp motor that gives it high cutting power.
- YTFLOT Manual Pruner Cutter 20FT Pole Saw – This is a manual pole saw, one of the longest in the market, with a telescopic pole that extends up to 20 feet above the ground. It has a 14″ blade that cuts through thick branches and shrubs.
Longest Pole Saws Options
Scale belly 4.6-25 Foot Telescoping Pole Saw
This Scale belly pole saw is among the longest on the market. Its pole is telescopic and can be stretched from 4.6 to 24.8 feet in length. It is also a very versatile tool.
One of the benefits of the Scale belly pole saw is that it can be extended to reach great heights for tree pruning or trimming and shortened to clear brush or shrubs around the farm. It is suitable for very tall trees such as oaks and pines.
- It is constructed using an aluminum alloy that makes it lightweight, strong, and durable.
- It has a foam grip at the base to resist shock and increase friction.
- It has a two-way blade design that makes cutting fast and smooth.
- It has a hook at the end that breaks off weak branches.
- It can be used for high or low cuts
- Requires no battery or external power
- It is easy to use.
- It is sturdy.
- It quickly causes fatigue.
- The higher the length, the lesser the safety.
If you’re looking for a versatile pole saw that can handle various tasks, the Scale belly is the tool for you. Both professionals and non-professionals can use it.
BLACK+DECKER 20V Max Cordless Pole Saw LPP120
This pole saw is electric and corded; you can use it at home or on the farm. It has an 8-inch cutting bar that can cut branches up to 6 inches in diameter. It is ideal if you are going green and attempting to release fewer hazardous gases into the atmosphere. It has a 20V max lithium-ion battery that can power up to 100 cuts of 12-inch pine branches per charge.
- It has a middle elongating design that stretches the pole between 6.5 feet and 14 feet.
- A same-plane power head that provides excellent vision during use.
- The unit can be separated into several pieces for easy storage and transport.
- Easy to assemble, disassemble and use.
- Has a long battery life.
- Has a telescoping pole.
- The battery will eventually die out, requiring a recharge or a replacement which can cause unnecessary breaks during work.
- It can only cut branches up to 6 inches in diameter, which is smaller than the average cutting power of pole saws.
The BLACK+DECKER is environmentally friendly, simple, safe to use, expandable, and highly efficient. It is, however, not very reliable for work that requires long hours. But, if you are looking for a pole saw you’ll only use from time to time, I highly recommend it for homeowners and professional arborists.
WORX WG309 Corded Electric Pole Saw
The WORX WG309 is another electric corded pole saw on this list. It provides consistency and dependability in its overall performance. It weighs about 10 pounds and extends 10 feet above the ground. It is a two-in-one tool with a regular chainsaw that can be switched with the miniature saw to clear thick brush or shrubs. Plus, it has a 10-inch bar that can cut branches up to 8 inches in diameter.
- It has an 8 Amps motor which offers a lot of power.
- It is equipped with an automatic lubrication system that prevents friction and wears.
- It also has an automatic tension design that regulates the motor, bar, and chain tension.
- It has a chain break that averts accidents during cutting.
- Has a convenient front handle for horizontal and vertical cutting.
- High efficiency.
- It can be used for long durations of time.
- Light and compact.
- Ample lubrication to prevent wear and tear.
- Easy installment and use.
- Because it has a cord, it cannot reach areas that exceed its power cord and is limited to vast areas of land.
- It can only be used when plugged in.
- It is relatively expensive.
Although this pole saw is a little pricey, it is worth its weight in use as you are getting two chainsaws and a pole. It offers high power with less energy, is anti-emission, lightweight, and easy to use.
Sun Joe SWJ800E Electric Pole Chain Saw
If you are looking for a pole saw with a very low risk of danger and one that provides a working length up to 15 feet above the ground, then the Sun Joe SWJ800E is right for you. It features an 8-inch Oregon bar and chain that cuts branches up to 7.5 inches thick. It is electrically powered and can be turned on and off during use by pushing a button.
- It has an automatic oiler design that oils the bar and chain.
- Its 6.5 Amp motor offers a lot of force against difficult branches.
- Comes with a telescopic pole for a range of different reach.
- Well lubricated.
- Zero emission.
- It can reach up to 15 feet above the ground, which is very long for the average electric pole saw.
- It comes with an inbuilt safety system that prevents accidental starting.
- It is corded electric, so it has limited reach beyond its power cords.
The Sun Joe SWJ800E can cut thick branches with very little power, saving electricity. It is easy to install and operate, and I recommend it.
Milwaukee M18 FUEL Pole Saw
The Milwaukees pole saw is a cordless electric saw that is useful for your regular pruning and trimming. It weighs 20 pounds and has a voltage of 18V. You can carry this pole saw around the farm or house without restrictions as it does not have any cord. Plus, It has a working length of 4.3 to 16 feet.
Also, please ignore the name; it is not a gas-powered pole saw.
- A 10-inch bar that cuts thick branches and clears thick shrubs and brush.
- A lithium-ion battery for long-lasting power.
- An M18 FUEL rapid charger for fast charging.
- Chain oiler for ample lubrication.
- It does not emit any gas.
- It can cut thick branches and brushes.
- Its battery lasts a long.
- It requires a lot of energy (electrical power) to charge.
A lot of things make this a very efficient tool: it takes just one second to enter full throttle, makes up to 150 cuts per charge, has a strong lithium battery, and can cut thick branches and shrubs. You’re getting your money’s worth with the purchase of this pole saw.
WORX WG349 20V Power Pole Saw
The WORX WG349 is known for being tension-free, compact, and lightweight. To increase balance, the motor is situated on the same plane as the pole. This means that you would not get easily exhausted because the weight of the motor and the pole are on the same axis.
The pole saw is cordless and requires 20 voltages of power. It also has a telescoping pole that extends up to 13 feet above the ground.
- It has an inbuilt tool-free system to regulate tension.
- It has an automated oiling system.
- Its saw head has three modifiable cutting angles: 0, 15, and 30 degrees. This provides you with three different angles to prune or trim from.
- It also features 180 degrees oscillating back handle for maneuvering between vertical and horizontal pole positions.
- Long-lasting battery life.
- It is cordless and thus has an unlimited reach around the working area.
- Easy to use.
- The higher the pole gets, the lower your ability to control the saw from the ground.
If you are interested in a long, battery-powered, cordless pole saw, the WORX WG349 is one of the best choices. It has 13 feet of working height, which is not common. Because it is lightweight and easily manipulated between varying heights, angles, and planes, it will not require you to expend a lot of energy.
HOSKO 10FT Pole Saw
As the name implies, the HOSKO 10FT Pole Saw can stretch up to 10 feet above the ground. This is an excellent benefit if you want to trim tall trees.
The HOSKO 10 FT Pole Saw is made of stainless steel and features many removable sections. It weighs just 4 pounds, is manually operated, risk-free and cordless.
- A hook attached to the saw’s head tackles loose limbs.
- It boasts a sharp three-sided end for effective trimming.
- Its pole is telescopic.
- Little to no risk.
- It is emission-free.
- Easy to assemble.
- Requires a lot of power.
- You can’t cut thick branches or brush.
This is a straightforward tool for you if you are a homeowner and not necessarily a professional tree surgeon or arborist. It is compact and can be disassembled for easy transportation.
Earthwise PS44008 Corded Electric Pole Saw
The Earthwise PS44008 is safe, accurate in its cutting, and earth friendly. Its most prominent feature is that it has the same power as regular gas pole saws. It is suitable for spring and fall cleaning or cutting around the farm because it can cut through wet branches or shrubs. It has a telescopic pole that extends to a maximum of 9 feet 5 inches.
- It has an 8-inch bar for cutting branches up to 6 inches.
- It has a shoulder strap for balancing the pole saw.
- It has a 30 degrees cutting angle in addition to the 180 degrees normal cutting angle.
- It has a rubber handle with a firm foam grip.
- Automatic oiling system.
- It boasts of a 6.5 Amp motor giving the electric pole the same power as many gas poles saw.
- It is lightweight.
- Very powerful.
- Well lubricated.
- Like many corded pole saws, it cannot be used in a wide land area.
A lot of thought went into safety during the manufacturing of this product. Between its shoulder strap and rubber handle to its powerful motor and two cutting angles, you can be sure of both efficiency and convenience when buying this tool. The Earthwise PS44008 is perfect for both homeowners and professionals.
MAXTRA Gas Powered Pole Saw
Gas-powered pole saws generally have high cutting power due to their engines. So, it is not surprising that the MAXTRA gas pole saw has a 2-stroke engine and a 10″ cutting blade. Making it powerful enough to cut branches up to 10 inches thick.
It has a telescopic pole that extends to 11.4 feet, implying a working height of approximately 16 feet. Remember what I said earlier about working height being the sum of the pole’s height and your height?
This pole saw is so powerful that it can cut, log, prune wood, and trim trees with thick branches. If you have a garden or even an orchard with trees with very thick branches or dense shrubs and brush, this is the tool for you.
- It has air filters that give its engines the protection they need.
- It has a two-position choke to start its hot or cold engine.
- It has a center clutch that helps the engine start.
- It has a shoulder strap to reduce vibration and prevent fatigue.
- It is easy to put together.
- It is sturdy.
- Can cut thick branches.
- Emits greenhouse gases.
- It is heavy.
- It is expensive.
- It is noisy.
As with many gas-powered pole saws, the MAXTRA gas pole saw requires some expertise. Its engine rotates the chain so fast that careful operation and maneuvering around the tree being trimmed or pruned is needed. Its advantage is that it is powerful and heavy, but it also has systems that reduce user fatigue and exhaustion. I highly recommend it for difficult tasks in your garden or orchard.
PROYAMA Multi-Function Pole Saw
The PROYAMA Multi-Function Pole Saw is also gas-powered. Its 2-cycle 42.7cc engine produces 2 HP. It has an 11.4-foot-long pole with a working height of up to 13 feet.
It is multifunctional, including a hedge trimmer, brush cutter, and pole chainsaw pruner.
- It has a multi-angle adjustment system for a range of angle cutting.
- It has a shoulder strap to reduce fatigue.
- It has ear defenders to block out the noise.
- It has a face shield for protection.
- It is safe to use.
- It has a high cutting power.
- You are getting multiple tools with just one purchase.
- Provides multiple-angle cutting.
- It makes a lot of noise.
- It is heavy.
Because of its many safety features, this tool can be used by professionals and non-professionals. You will also receive a package containing several useful tools. You are safe as long as you use the safety equipment that comes with the pole saw.
WEN 4019 Electric Telescoping Pole Saw
The WEN 4019 is a powerful electric pole saw. It is cordless, with a pole that extends up to 7.3 feet and a working height of approximately 12 feet.
- It has a 6-Amp motor that makes the chain rotate at a speed of 30ft/sec.
- It has a blade cover for safety.
- It has a shoulder strap to curb fatigue.
- It has an 8″ saw chain to cut thick branches.
- It is simple in its design and easy to use.
- It has a high cutting power and can cut thick branches.
- It can be manipulated around a tree with ease.
- It provides ample ground-level vision as its electric engine and pole are on the same axis.
- It is relatively heavy compared to other electric pole saws.
- It cannot be used for ground-level jobs as its lowest pole height is 5.3 feet.
If you want a powerful electric pole saw that gets the job done, then the WEN 4019 is right for you. It is emission-free, cost-friendly, safe to use, and does not require any previous experience. So if you are a beginner gardener, you may consider buying it.
YTFLOT Manual Pruner Cutter 20FT Pole Saw
This is the longest manual pole saw on the market and the longest on this list. It has a telescopic and detachable pole that can extend to 20 feet in length. It has a 14″ blade mounted on top of a pruner for cutting thick branches.
The hole in its pruner can accommodate a 25mm thick pole saw. This pole saw can be used for trimming and pruning in your garden or farm, and its parts can be separated to make it more compact.
- It has two blades in three combinations.
- It is made from steel that offers durability and strength.
- It has an 8-foot rope and a wooden handle that forms a pulley that can be used for spring action pruning.
- Its pruner blade is made of carbon steel for shearing thin branches.
- Its telescopic pole is made from aluminum to prevent rust.
- It has a towering height of 20 feet, reaching the top of your tree tallest.
- It is emission-free and does not require electric energy or fuel.
- It is lightweight.
- It is more expensive than the average manual pole saw.
YTFLOT is a tested and trusted brand, and this manual pole saw is in high demand. It is well-known for its height, efficiency, and versatility. It will undoubtedly be a wise purchase if you do not have difficult jobs and are concerned about how the planet is treated.
Safety Measures for Operating a Pole Saw
The pole saw is not such a dangerous tool. It has a very low-risk factor, but like most tools, it is not entirely risk-free.
Here are a few safety measures to keep in mind when using a pole saw:
- Avoid working at night. Do all your work during the day. This way, you reduce the risk of branches or tree limbs falling on you while you trim or prune.
- Be mindful of the cord when using a corded pole saw. There is always the tendency that it will get tangled. If this happens, simply untangle it and continue your work.
- Stick to cutting the tree branches or limbs and watch out for overhead phones or electric wires if you work in areas with those.
- Watch out for falling limbs or branches; always cut at an angle and never in a straight line.
- Clear the working area of people, especially children, to prevent them from getting hurt by falling debris or branches.
- Do not raise your arms above your head when working with a pole saw; keep them at your waist area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How long should a pole saw blade be?
Answer: Arm length is typically estimated to be 2 to 3 feet by most manufacturers. So, if your pole saw has a working height of about ten feet, it will be approximately seven to eight feet long from tip to tip. Most pole saws have a maximum working height of 10 to 12 feet. You will find a pole saw of higher heights much more difficult to control, especially in windy conditions.
Question: How far can you reach with a pole saw?
Answer: It depends on the height of your pole saw and tree. But, in general, a pole saw can only reach as high as its working length, which is the length of the pole plus the arm. Also, When selecting a pole saw, consider the length of the pole and the blade. The blade’s length should be two inches longer than the branch’s diameter. If you want to cut an eight-inch branch, you’ll need a ten-inch pole saw.
Question: Are manual pole saws any good?
Answer: Yes, they are, but only in unique situations. A manual pole pruner, unlike an electric or gas pole saw, is only suitable for small backyard work and home use. They typically have a long extension rod that allows you to control the blade direction.
Question: Can you use a pole saw to cut logs?
Answer: Depending on the log’s size, you may be unable to accomplish this. If the wood you want to cut is thin, you may be able to cut it with a pole saw. However, a pole saw will not have the power or size to cut down a large tree, branch, or log.
Question: What kind of oil does an electric pole saw use?
Answer: Electric chainsaws can only be used with lubricant oil for the bar and chain. These oils have been specially formulated for this type of lubrication. They are also produced in an environmentally responsible manner. Some oils, such as used motor oil or vegetable oil, can harm the oiling system.
Pole saws are some of the simplest yet most effective tools around the garden or farm. They all serve a similar function of trimming or pruning trees and sometimes shrubs and brush but differ in their efficiency, level of gas emission, engine power, and working height.
When you think of buying a pole saw, try to answer questions like:
- How long a pole do you need?
- How thick are the branches you need to cut?
- How dense are the tree branches?
- How clear are the targeted branches from a ground view?
The answers to these would inform your choice when engaging a vendor or supplier of pole saws.
Remember, prioritize safety always. Have fun shopping!